Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I love my ghetto neighborhood....

The other day Jaakson and the other neighbor kids were out playing in the front yard and I had taken his red car outside for him to scoot around in. Now, most of the families at the end of our culdesac will bring their toys out and everyone shares and is generally pretty good about making sure the toys stay in the owner's yard or they'll even return the toys after they are done playing with them that day. This particular evening I had to go instruct at the school until 10 pm. I got a text during my class from two different neighbors telling me that they were on a walk with their kids and saw Jaakson's car in someone else's yard a few blocks away. (Jaakson's car is distinctive because of a wheel that's broken.) I say Thanks and decide to check it out on my way home from work. When I get home, I find out from Klint that another neighbor came by and told him that her friend was the one who took it and she's sorry and told him where her friend lived. But when Klint went by earlier that evening, when it was still light out, he didn't see the car. When I went by a lil' before 11 pm there it was, stashed under the outside stairs. So I loaded it up and had half a mind to leave a note on their door that said, "Next time just give me a twenty and we'll call it good...." Of course, I didn't. When I got home and was unloading the car, my neighbor was outside having a smoke with some friends and called out to me, "Sorry for my friend stealing that!" I just laughed and said thanks for the heads up. Anywho, the point I'm making is that I have always joked about my culdesac being "ghetto" and have called it "Felon Cir." We've seen some interesting neighbors in the past year or so we've lived here (the cops used to drive thru regularly) but I really have come to genuinely love every one of my neighbors. I really feel like our lil cul-de-sac is the type of neighborhood where one looks out for the other. We've come together, despite our differences, to try to make it a place that we can raise our families and a place where we can cultivate genuine friendships with one another. Some might look at my cul-de-sac and think "sketchy" and high-tail outta there (I know I did), but I can honestly say had I not lived here, in this specific neighborhood, I don't know that I would have been enlightened or had experienced such signifigant personal growth as I have in the past year. I would not have learned how to truly understand others VERY different from myself in VERY many ways. All in all, I love my "ghetto" neighborhood....

8 comments:

Jenn said...

What school do you teach at? I go to MATC.

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

We used to live in a neighborhood like that. We had cops every night, fire trucks, you name it we had it. It made us grateful for families that raised us right. I'm glad you got your car back, I don't know if I would have enough guts to go get it. :) I'm a woose

Kylene said...

I instruct the night classes twice a week and one Saturday a month at Dallas Roberts Academy in Provo. What's MATC? I think I've heard of it but can't remember what MATC stands for....

The McCarthys said...

I wish we had more of a neighborhood, even if it was in the ghetto. Living on just a strait busy road we've only gotten to know is the families on either side of us :(.

Jenn said...

Two Of my instructors used to work at Dallas Roberts! My email is jennifernydegger@yahoo.com so email me i feel a little uncomfortable putting where I live and stuff on blogs.

shawfamily said...

so you do hair huh? me too:) your work is awesome! I love your business cards. your kids are adorable too.. We were glad you posted on our blog. Nate was excited to look at your guys's blog. If you wanna check out modbe swimsuits go to modbeclothing.com and check out clothing.. or you can push shop and look on someones website! if you need any help just let me know:) Have a good day! Jena

Natalie said...

sounds like my neighborhood...man i'm sure we could swap stories and have some good laughs! i agree- some of my neighbors i've really gotten to know & they aren't as bad as they seem! honestly, ky, i'm surprised you didn't leave that note...it would've been funny!

David and Jaycee said...

In my opinion the ghetto is always more exciting!!
I've worked and am on the out skirts of the ghetto...it
just makes life more interesting and You feel more grateful for the knowledge of the gospel!
Your kids are growing too fast! And I haven't even met them yet!! love ya
Jaycee