Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And to think I USED to want to be an elementary teacher...

I just need to blog-vent for a minute. Note: the following paragraph will contain some negative and frustrating rantings I have. You've been forewarned. Before I decided upon cosmetology, I was thisclose to going into primary education. With children in the near future, I decided to go with cosmetology due to the flexible, accomodating schedule it can offer. Plus, I think I have a little knack for it so it came more easily to me. I'm currently instructing part-time, two nights a week for the summer at Dallas Roberts Academy (where I graduated from a lil over a year ago). Anywho, I thought "this will be an easy job." Little did I know how dramatically the night school morale has changed since I went to school there. Some of the students have a laundry list of complaints about the school. There was one student in particular that told the night school Head Instructor that she doesn't like the way I teach and she doesn't like that I am an instructor soley because of the fact that I went to school there so recently. Note: this particular student was never in class or on the floor with me while I was in school- she started right after I graduated. Another thing I see in night school is that the girls don't seem like they want to be there....they don't want to learn apparently? I know 2000 hours of school is daunting but it's required so why not make the most of it and learn all you can while you're there? Then there's the instructor that has made it known to any and everyone (including students, other instructors, and CLIENTS)how she dislikes and disagrees with the Head Instructor's, and the school's, management. I don't agree that everything is perfect there either but no matter what school you go to, you're going to have people that find something to complain about. There are gossip-Queen/instigators I've witnessed straight-up lying-through-their-teeth to other instructors and students. They are partly to blame for stirring the ever thickening drama-pot. Now my time in school wasn't a total utopia of harmony either but everyone generally got along and came to class and became good cosmetologists, in my opinion. I'm genuinely worried about the girls I'm teaching. I'm worried about some of their futures as cosmetologists. But then a statistic comes to mind, only 1 in 10 cosmetologist are still doing cosmetology ten years after they graduate. I was very tempted that this job was not worth the stress it was might eventually cause me. Who needs that kind of stress? I've already been through highschool experiences of backbiting and gossip and cliques, right? Nevertheless, I came to the conclusion to stick it out and do my best to be a good instructor. I can't do anything other than my best, right? And to think, I used to want to be an elementary school teacher....

2 comments:

Haley said...

I didn't know you were teaching, how exciting! How sad that things have gone down hill that badly. I know our instructors used to complain about us all the time, but we weren't that bad were we?

Lucy Wall said...

Wow, that makes me laugh so hard...good for you for sticking it out!!! I don't think any class can compare to "my night school girls" (your class!!!) Just think, you are there to teach...they can appreciate it and learn or go out into the real world and get fired...Good Luck, they are lucky to have you for a teacher!!!