Monday, March 2, 2009

Are the weekends cursed or something?!

EVERYTIME my kids get really sick it's on a weekend! What is going on here?! I don't like my kids to get sick at all, be it weekday or weekend, but I have been seeing a pattern in the past few years since I've had kids....when they get REALLY sick, beyond the seasonal cold, it always falls on a weekend; whether we're out of town or sitting at home. Why is this? Is it a fluke or is there a factual reason why this happens? The most frustrating thing about the weekends is that the Dr offices are closed and the on-call doctors aren't always available. If it's really serious, I end up taking them to Urgent Care or the ER, which are both a little more expensive than the general pracitioner. I'm sure you've already figured out that this entry is coming off of a long weekend. Jaakson was up until 5 am on Saturday morning, did better Sunday morning, and then late last night/EARLY this morning with a really bad cough/breathing problems. For those of you that don't know, Jaakson is HIGHLY allergic to cats/dogs or any pets with dander. *Note: your pet has dander no matter how much hair they do/don't have. Jaakson's allergic reactions are so bad that he could possibly die from it because his breathing is affected so severely. This weekend was particluarly bad because in addition to him having an allergic reaction, he already was JUST getting over a cold. His allergic reactions are even worse if he already has any type of illness that affects his respiration, cold/flu/cough/etc. I feel so bad for him because I can't make him better without using medicine or going to a doctor. I feel bad because he loves dogs and cats, as do Klint and I. Anyone who really knows me knows that my family has had a German Shepard our whole life. When I moved out of my parent's house I took a cat home to my apartment where I wasn't supposed to have pets much to my roommats suprise(*Sorry Nat and Jaycee, haha!). In the past, I would gauge a person's character partly on whether they liked dogs and animals. One friend stated she hated dogs and I almost disowned her as my friend. (Not really, but I considered it for a SECOND....or two). I feel bad because anyone who even has DANDER on their CLOTHES can cause Jaakson to have a severe allergic reaction. Sometimes I have to pass on playdates, visits from friends/family, family occasions, and etc. I feel bad because many get offended or hurt when I tell them they can't come over or we can't go to their house because of Jaakson's allergies, no matter how much we'd LOVE to see them. Many of you may say, you can give him allergy medicine before you go somewhere with cat/dogs so he won't have a reaction. Sometimes the medicine doesn't always work and some dander is worse than others and I have no way of knowing which times will be worse. The more I expose Jaakson to his allergic triggers, the worse his reactions will get. NOT BETTER. Jaakson's allergist has stressed to me that if I don't want to put Jaakson thru misery, I shouldn't gamble his health/life for a visit with loved ones and if our loved ones VALUED Jaakson's health/life, then they would respect and understand that and take his allergies seriously. So if you have pets and I tell you we can't come over or vice versa because of Jaakson's allergies PLEASE don't get offended and take it personally because I don't want him to be up coughing/throwing up until 5 am and possibly having to be hospitalized, okay? It has nothing to do with you or your cute pets. It has to do with my son being healthy and happy.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

That is crazy! I have never even heard on a pet allergy that severe! Poor kid, and Poor mom! That has got to be a constant stress.

RazakFamily said...

I think the weekends ARE cursed - that's always when my babies get sickie too! not near as bad as Jaakson (I'm so sorry). Let me know if you need anything....like cookies :)

Milissa Texas SuperMOM! said...

I feel your pain. We once had a friend ask us if our kids were always sick because the 3 times we visited Cameron was sick. It just runs unitl they are in school. Then they will only get sick while in school and your weekends will be free again. LOL Question, Would it help if we washed our clothes and then put them on and didn't touch the cat before leaving to visit you? Can you wash out dander? It's suppose to be really nice when you guys come down so we can do the park! Yea. Just tell us where you can meet us and well be there so the boys can play together. We love you hang in there.

ROB AND HOLLY said...

I agree, kids always seem to get sick Friday night at 9:30 . . .
Poor Jaakson - how awful to be allergic to something that you love!

Mindy said...

oh poor guy that is so hard.

The McCarthys said...

Oh Ky, I am suddenly reminded of when you guys came to our duplex for a visit!! I hope that he didn't get a reaction then :(. My niece Shiana has the same problem. They can't come to our house anymore to visit... but we are always more then happy to go visit them :). Poor Jaakson!!